- This event has passed.
Coats’ Disease Awareness Day
What is Coats’ Disease Awareness Day?
Coats’ Disease Awareness Day takes place each year on August 17 to shine a light on this rare disease. It is a day for all Coats’ patients, parents, families, friends, and physicians to spread the word about this disease and help our efforts to donate funds for research.
Why is this day important?
There is no cure for Coats’ Disease yet and many cases go undiagnosed or misdiagnosed. Raising awareness may lead to an early diagnosis and prompt treatment so that a child’s vision may be saved. Funding research is critical to finding a cure and improved treatments for Coats’ Disease.
How can you help?
Get involved! There are many ways to promote Coats’ Disease Awareness and support the Foundation’s efforts.
1. Share your Coats’ Disease story.
Telling your story will help others understand the disease better and why it is so important to continue research into this disease. To submit your story, visit our website.
2. Promote Coats’ Disease Awareness Day all month long.
August 17 isn’t the only day to promote Coats’ Disease Awareness Day! Let’s spread the word all month long! Change your Facebook profile to one of our ribbon images, share on all of your social channels, and email them to your friends and family. Let’s spread the word!
3. Be an active participant in our fundraising events.
There are many ways to become an active participant in our fundraising efforts to find a cure for Coats’ Disease:
- 13th Annual Golf Tournament & Dinner. Registration is still open for the August 22 event! If you are local to Burlingame, you can either register as a golfer or simply attend the dinner. If you aren’t able to attend, we have wonderful sponsorship opportunities for personal or businesses (or you can make a donation)! For more information, click here.
- Cure Coats’ 5K Run & 1K Kids’ Fun Run. Join us on Sunday, October 13, 2019 at 9:00 a.m. at Sierra Point Marina in Brisbane, CA, for our second annual Cure Coats’ 5K and 1K Kids’ Fun Run/Walk fundraiser! For more information or to register, click here.
- VIRTUAL Cure Coats’ 5K Run & 1K Kids’ Fun Run. Let’s all join together, from anywhere in the world, to Run for a Cure! The Cure Coats’ Virtual 5K Run/1K Kids’ Fun Run is an opportunity to share your support for the Jack McGovern Coats’ Disease Foundations’ vision of finding a cure for Coats’ Disease by participating in our 2nd Annual Cure Coats’ 5K/1K, regardless of where you live! Register today!
4. Make a Donation.
Funds raised have enabled us to:
• Provide grants for research to improve treatments & find a cure;
• Endow scholarships to Ophthalmologists to inspire them to specialize in Coats’ Disease;
• Maintain a comprehensive Doctor Directory of specialists;
• Sponsor events to raise awareness and educate physicians, researchers, and students;
• Engage a network of volunteers around the world to help us achieve our mission; and
• Establish travel grants for researchers to promote research and education.
These generous gifts are helping us change the lives of Coats’ Disease patients and families for the better. Please consider making a donation today!
Questions? Email us at [email protected].
Donations are accepted year round online, by check, or by contacting us directly. The Foundation is a California Non-Profit Corporation and a recognized IRS 501(c)(3) charitable organization. All donations are tax deductible. All donations are used to fund research to find a cure for Coats’ Disease.